Saturday, January 31, 2009

What New Years Resolution?

When it comes to New Years resolutions, I don't usually bother. I have found through the years that I get too frustrated when they fall by the wayside. But, I will admit that even though I don't make formal resolutions, I still think about what I would resolve to do better at the beginning of each year. One for this year was to be more consistent in writing in my blog. Last night I attended my second blog class, hoping to pick up a few pointers and to try and get inspired. I guess it worked. I'm making my first entry of the new year and it's still only January...OK, it may be the last day of January, but it's still January!


This has been a really interesting winter. Most of December was spent dealing with some of the worst weather this area has seen in 40 years. We had over 18 inches of snow at hour house. Not nearly as much as some of our friends who live higher in the hills, but still way more than we are used to. Our power was out for 3 days during sub-freezing temperatures. I really thought we were prepared for such emergencies. With a generator, back-up heat source and plenty of food, we were ready to ride it out. But generators need lots of gasoline and our back-up heat source needed lots of propane. That meant making a couple of trips to town. After several hours of digging and help from a guy with heavy equipment, we were able to get out of the driveway using our 4-wheel drive pickup. However, when we got to the gas station, their satellite system for credit & debit cards was down and they would only accept cash. We had enough with us to fill a gas can and a propane tank...just barely. In trying to conserve gas, we turned the generator off at night. The second day it wouldn't start. Our little propane heater was way too small for the house, so it didn't take long for the house to get really cold. Then our friends, Ron & Joyce, came to the rescue. Ron helped Pete get the generator fixed and Joyce provide me with some much needed female conversation. We have since spent some time improving on our emergency preparedness plans and supplies.


This month I've been busy with our local Family History Center activities. A new year means lots of administrative duties to take care of. I've also been trying to work on my own family history as well. Last week I also had the opportunity to teach a class on Indexing to some of the Young Women in my ward. I haven't worked on indexing for quite some time, so preparing for the class got me excited about doing that work again.


And so it goes...a new year, a new beginning, and who knows...maybe even some new resolutions.

1 comment:

Lyon Pride said...

Thank you so much for teaching us about indexing. Several of the YW are really excited about it!